Monday, 3 May 2010

Opinions etc

I was thinking the other day about how, whenever someone tells me their opinion on something it kind of falls into three categories in my head. 


Is it 


1) What they REALLY think 
2) What they THINK they should think
3) Or are they deliberately taking this opinion just to buck the trends


I find it particularly hard sometimes to share my own opinions on things, especially when it comes to arty areas like films, fashion, books etc. I'm not a massive reader, but I go through stages of bulk buying and reading a few in a row at top speed and then not touching another for the rest of the year. Anyway, a year or two ago I read 'The Catcher in the rye' and while I thought it was an easy read and relatively enjoyable I couldn't figure out why so many people label it as their favourite book or a 'classic'. Even now part of me thinks 'Is it me? Did I miss something? Did I miss a huge intellectual hidden meaning somewhere?' And that got me thinking, did all these other people really enjoy it or like me did they think they ought to read it but then just forget to form their own opinion on it and also hail it as some kind of classic because they felt they should?


Fashion is another one that really twists my melon. For me, I'm really boring - I wear the same things all the time because I've got it in my head that you need to be super slim to pull off all the looks I like (which is rubbish I know, but that's what I've got stuck in my head) so I just live in jeans and old vintage tshirts and cardigans etc, but that's not to say I don't love fashion and attempt to keep up-to-date with Vogue etc. But mostly I find it odd as all the magazines seem to get so excited when something is 'in', when usually it's just exactly the same stuff EVERY year. (I mean, I can pretty much predict that autumn winter will bring us tartan, purple, animal skins, leather and patent). But what of all these people that feel they have to follow the trends, sometimes I wonder if they really like what it is they're buying. Are you trying to tell me you really like jeggings and crop tops or do you just think it's a safe bet to look cool? It's the same with people who deliberately wear mega 'quirky' clothes, do you really like it? Or are you desperate to catch a fashion editors eye? I don't know, I sound like a right misery guts. I have no problem with people who wear crazy clothes or keep up with fashion - far from it, I just wonder how many people do it just because they feel they should and to fit in somehow. Fashion is a bit of a big debate though, I mean what would we all really wear if 'style' wasn't such a big deal to people? I know we're pretty restricted by what is in the shops anyway, but if it wasn't a restriction I do wonder what we'd all really be wearing, but I'll save that topic for another day...


Anyway, back to my point. On the other side of the coin, I have a friend who seems to end up deliberately bucking the trends a lot - and I wonder why? I mean no one is going to score points either way. No one is going to go 'Oh wow, you're one of so few people who said  X about X, you're so underground! You're such a maverick!' It's a bit sad really.


Maybe I'm the only one who thinks like this, but pretty much every time a big topic comes up and people share their opinions on it I start wondering where this person's views fall, and I've made a bit of a promise to myself not to be worried about sharing mine, no matter how boring or silly.



1 comment:

  1. Summer will always be 'nautical', and 'pastels' and 'nudes'. Yawn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails