Monday, 20 September 2010

INTERVIEW: Abigail MaryRose Clark

Next up in my little featured friend interviews is the work of Abigail MaryRose Clark. Abigail and I both went to the same Art College on different courses and she ended up going to university and living with my best friend Claire (who's work I will be featuring shortly!). Thanks to Etsy, Abigail has recently had lots of success with her teacup bracelets and has had massive orders rolling in. 


Once again I've asked some cheesy interview questions so you can all find out a bit more about her and her work...




Tell us about your creative background


I rebelled and never took Art GCSE. I didn't like the teacher. I completely blagged my way into college to study 3D art and design BTEC as I made my 'creations' at home and showed the tutor at the interview. Then on to uni to indulge further in 3 years of 3D Art and Design in Manchester. Uni was the best for making. I have missed the workshops so much since I graduated. 

Recently you've had tons of interest in your teacup bracelets. When did you think up the idea and where do you tend to get your inspiration from?

It's funny really. The teacup bracelets came out of a bored drizzly Mancunian afternoon/late eve at uni in 2005. I was making a collection of brooches for a unit brief and found myself just staring at the teacup on my desk (I collect china and used the cups at uni for drinking and cleaning my paint brushes.) I figured that as we had a glass department I could try cutting them up into bangles. So I did. The technician didn't even ask me why as he was used to our year being a bit demented in their design thinking. My tutors shrugged off the idea and weren't that impressed so I just put the idea aside until my after I graduated. They started becoming more popular and the rest is a blur....





Who are your favourite artists / makers?

Mmmm.... too many. Here is a random selection; Polly Morgan - Taxidermy to die for (sorry!). Andy Goldsworthy was an early favourite in college. Pretty hippy really but I love his sense of proportion/scale and his communication through using natural materials/balance. Richard Long. Ron Mueck. Ernst Haeckel. Balenciaga. I love photography, who doesn't! Favourites are Bill Brandt, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Lee Miller.... I think I'll leave it at that.

Do you have a day job or are you lucky enough to be a full time creative? 


I am now down to two days a week in my bookshop but when the larger orders come in I really need 7 days for making. It's all swings and roundabouts!

What is your favourite piece of work that you have made?

That's a tough one. I usually make my jewellery from designs that I would want to wear myself so I end up wanting to keep it all. My pocket-watch brooches are always painful to let go of because I feel like they have little personalities. I get attached to most of my work but if you want to make a living from it then you have to let it go! I know I make a lot but I love the teacup bracelets.






What do you find to be the best and worst things about making and selling your work? 


Like I said, letting it go is hard but it's the best feeling when someone is happy to pay for your work and genuinely loves it. My favourite sale was at my fist ever 'proper' craft show (Festival of Crafts, Farnham) When a woman purchased two teacup bracelets for her crazy Canadian twin aunts of 89 years old! It's best when you meet the people who are buying your work. 

Do you have any advice for other makers? 


Don't under sell yourself.....and if your tutors think that somethings a bad idea, run with it, you'll be amazed what can happen.


Tell us about your other hobbies and interests... 


Umm at present I don't really have any hobbies as I've been making non-stop for the last 3 months but I love the usual, seeing friends/family. I love looking round castles. Museums. Getting out of the UK as much as possible and escaping to Europe. Collecting random trinkets to use in my jewellery. Reading. Eating. Learning Italian. Records. Films. Seeing bands perform. 




What are your favourite TV shows / Films / Books / Websites to browse etc.

Well, TV confuses me slightly but I like documentaries, my two favourites so far this year was one about May Savidge and one about the teenage Kate Bush. I love 'The Good Life'. This is England '86 started pretty good but I'm not so sure about it now. Celebrity juice is so funny (I don't care what anyone says). 

'Films' is a tough one. Wes Anderson is a Genius. Into the wild was pretty good. Jacques Smerlak films are beautiful, as always 'Amelie'. Sylvain Chomet's films are also just so perfect. Michel Gondry's are also amazing. After Midnight (Italian) is a little beauty.


*Books- I'll narrow it down- *The Outsiders *The picture of Dorian Gray. *To kill a mocking bird *The Great Gatsby *The Catcher in the Rye *All of Stephen Fry's books(I love him) *Nineteen eighty-four *Brighton Rock *Animal Farm *Ernst Haeckel -Art forms in Nature *Brave New World *Wise Children *Any Jules Verne, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Haruki Murakami.....I'll stop there.

Where can we find your work? 


At the moment it's best to visit my Etsy page. It lists most of the shops I sell in or my facebook page should should the latest news about what's going on. 



Facebook page
Etsy store








1 comment:

  1. Oooo I've eye spied these pretties already on Etsy - nice to know a little more behind such lovelies - great pic at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails