Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Copy cats

My cross-stitch moustache ring


Well, it's been an interesting start to the week! In the past 12 hours alone I've come across not one, but TWO sneaky copy cats.

The first copycat was innocent enough. A 12 year old girl attempting a (very long winded) blog tutorial demonstrating how to create one of my moustache rings (needless to say the outcome didn't rival my super 'tache ring!). It was quite funny and sweet really, so it wasn't really anything I should feel bad about...

...then, I thought I'd take a little snoop around Etsy to see what other people have been making. I do this periodically just to be nosey and sure enough there are plenty of other people doing cross-stitch items, some are very similar to current items I have in stock, or items I have made previously and sure it can irk me a little but I know I cannot hold the monopoly on cross-stitched items. It peeved me a little to see that someone had copied one particular item of mine down to the last stitch.

I know it sounds really petty to complain that someone has copied a really small accessory I have made, but the design is mine!

I'm not going to name and shame anyone. I have sent the person a polite message, and hoping I don't get a shitty one back! I know these things happen, and in some roundabout way imitation is a form of flattery but mostly it just makes me feel sad and rather pissed off.

It's not easy being an independent designer, in fact it's really bloody hard. If a designer's work inspires you, tell them, tell your friends or write a blog post about their work to give them some exposure. Don't copy their work. There is a BIG difference between being inspired and plagiarism, and in most cases breaching copyright laws.

If you cannot think up a design yourself, maybe that medium isn't for you? Maybe you should be doing something else?

Sorry for the rant folks. If you would like to see my work and not a copied version, you can see it here: www.etsy.com/shop/MaMagasin but please don't copy it, thanks ;)

6 comments:

  1. Aww that's so rubbish :(
    I've not had anyone copy my work (that I know of) but I can imagine how frustrating it would be!!
    It's hard enough to be original so takes the utter piss when you've spent so long developing a unique piece and then someone else comes a long and rips it off.
    Hope you don't get a horrible reply and it all gets sorted out ok. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm hoping she will remove the item, but if she doesn't I guess there's nothing I can do about it. A friend of mine makes incredible work and she has had copycats, sent them messages and they've kept their work up there for all to see! It's crazy, I mean, don't they feel ashamed? Oh well :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I hope this all smoothes out for you. I hate hearing that this happens. Much original love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, it's horrible when stuff like that happens. It's hard to be flattered when it's so irritating! I hope she doesn't give you any shit! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd get the right hump. It's just plain lazy and bad-mannered to deliberately copy. Hope it all gets sorted out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to a seminar on June 16th on IP and the different copyrights etc. I am getting sick of finding out about copiers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails